Monday, April 2, 2007

Bad, Bad Girl Brown

You know. Instead of Leroy Brown. I crack myself up.
I'm a bad blogger, I know. I can go weeks (months?) without writing a single word but this is changing (at least today).
My writing process is very personal. I usually write in my head before I can actually record it onto paper (or keyboard/monitor). Then I have to mull over it, edit it, read it, rewrite it, re-edit and then (and only then!), I post. And I am unsatisfied with my own writing 90% of the time but I try to resist the urge to take it away and try again. Please.
I've wanted to write a book for a very long time, about 12 years now. Jessica and I used to talk about how we should write a book with all of our great stories and memories. I started to write a memoir once right after I had Chicken but a hungry newborn took priority. Besides, I didn't feel like I had enough "meat" to write an interesting book. As years have passed, my desire to put these stories together has really blossomed. I'm still not sure I have enough compelling stories (and who knows if my stories are interesting enough?) but I have plenty of inspiration. Those who know my background and family know the drama (Oh, you say you don't know the drama? Thank your lucky stars then). And those that have known me for a long time know all the crazy stuff that I've done and have had happen to me.
But where does one start when writing about their life? Usually, people who write successful memoirs are writing about their life as a member of an (in)famous family of some sort. My family is infamous, allright! Then there is the question of what to write and what to withhold. This would be my personal story but the details of many things could be hurtful to others, both dead and alive.
I've also considered including a compilation of stories written by my close friends and family. Kind of like lots of short stories into one 200 page book. I just don't know where to begin.
Yes I do. I'm going to start by making a list of all the memories I have that could cultivate into a great book. Then I'm going to write on those memories. A little cut and paste, BOOM! I've got a book.
Seems so easy.
Now I just have to actually write something. And then sell it to a publisher. And then beg people to buy it. Crap.

No comments: